Monday, July 16, 2007

The Star Party is Over


The Mason-Dixon Star Party is over for 2007! Saturday night was an amazingly clear and lovely night -- at least for the normally light polluted skies near Harrisburg and York. The milky way was blazing, and the dew stayed away.

The photo above is a 41-second exposure of Matt Orsie's 26 inch Dob. Some light painting with a red LED flashlight added the color to the top of the scope. The brightest object in the sky is the planet Jupiter, just to the left of the top of the telescope.

To end the star party, Saturday afternoon we had a group picnic, complete with swimming, watermelon, and lots of folks leaving to grab a nap before the evening prize give-away. The main door prize was a Coronado Personal Solar Telescope (PST) and I was just sure I was going to win it! Of course, I didn't. I did win a red fanny pack, though. I'm not going to try watching the sun through that!

I am now taking a few days away from the road to take care of some business in Maryland -- so the blog postings may be sporadic until I hit the road again (you really don't want to know what I bought at Target, or how my hair cut turned out, do you?). Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Dave said...

It was great catching up with you at the MDSP. What a great picture of Matt's scope!

Anyway...keep safe in your travels...and yes...I would like to hear what you bought at target and how the hair cut turned out! :-)

Dave G.