Sunday, September 02, 2007

A Cabbage White Closeup

Location: Mt. Pleasant, MI


I thought you might be interested in seeing my own little "Norma Desmond," ready for me to do the "CB's closeup" thing (if you have no idea what I'm talking about, run to the video store and rent "Sunset Boulevard").


You have probably noticed the little white butterflies that seem to be all over the meadows and grasses during the summer. They are rather small, and in the world of casual butterfly watchers they are not as cool, as, say, a Monarch or a Swallowtail. That little white butterfly is probably a Cabbage White (Pieris rapae).


One came visiting last night (with the help of a net, but I'm SURE it would have jumped at the chance to visit me without the help). If I am wrong about this being a Cabbage White, would the entomologists out there please let me know?

If you have seen the butterflies, you have probably not given much thought to what they really look like. One of the things I love about insect macro photography is getting to see a part of the world we would otherwise miss. Here is the closeup view (as always, click on image for larger view):

Cabbage White

No comments: