Friday, June 19, 2009

A Dark and Stormy Night

Location: Zion, Illinois (on Lake Michigan, between Milwaukee and Chicago)

Last night was a doozy. About 1:30 a.m., my weather radio started to go off for all sorts of warnings: severe thunderstorm, marine, flood, and even a tornado possibility. The storm soon hit, bringing strobe lightning, torrential rain, and unrelenting wind. It was after 3:00 when it was finally quiet enough to go back to sleep.

This morning, I went outside to survey the damage, and found these two ducks:


And, no, they are not in a pond -- they are swimming just behind the campground parking area, where the grills and the picnic tables go:

As I write this, more is on the way. This morning's blue sky is now dark gray, and I can hear thunder in the distance. Here's the doppler radar from a few minutes ago -- that little circle with the plus sign is my location.

Hey, at least I'm not in a tent!

No comments: