Thursday, November 15, 2007

Oddities, Endities, and Left Overs

Item 1: Can I Have Some of Your Purple Berries?

Click for Larger Image of Purple Berries Say, can I have some of your purple berries?
Yes, I've been eating them for six or seven weeks, now.
Haven't got sick once; probably keep us both alive

-- Wooden Ships, David Crosby


I found these berries, new to me, growing along the roadside. They stood out because of their vibrant, and non-fall-like purple color. A web search turned up their name: Callicarpa americana or Purple Beautyberry. It's a shrub that is sold in stores, and no one seems to be calling the berries poisonous, so I guess David Crosby would be okay!

Item 2: Time Zones

I still don't know what time it is. I am in the Central Time Zone, but TV shows are sometimes broadcast at the same time as they in the Eastern Zone (for example, the Today show comes on at 7:00, just like it does in the east, and is a repeat of the show that aired one hour earlier), or they are broadcast simultaneously (the national evening news comes on at 5:30 here, broadcast at exactly the same time as in the east which is 6:30). Prime time is 7-10. To add to the confusion, I have a clock accesses the shortwave time band to set itself, and each time I set it to Central time it resets itself to Eastern time. So it is always off by one hour. The end result is I don't know when to go to bed, so I just stay up late. Good thing I don't have to get up at 4:30 anymore (and how did I ever do that?)

Item 3: Magnolia Seeds

I don't think I have ever seen magnolia seeds in the fall before. They look somewhat like furry pine cones, but then they get a bright red seed. Odd, but pretty:

Click for larger image of magnolia seed  Click for larger image of magnolia seed

Item 4: I Hit A Milestone

I qualified for a Senior Discount at Denny's. Whoopee.

No comments: